Sam Cikaitoga Service Award
This award recognizes and rewards a person who, like Sam, understands and celebrates the ways we are all alike downplays our differences. The award shall be to a person or persons who have made a special and unique contribution to the cause of public education over an extended period of time and particularly in the last year.
SAM CIKAITOGA SERVICE AWARD
Sam Cikaitoga was a teacher and association leader in Fremont County. Sam came to Idaho via the Pacific Islands, but he was a citizen of the world, because he understood and celebrated the ways we are all alike, and he downplayed our differences. Following his death as a result of an automobile accident, the Sam Cikaitoga Service Award was created to acknowledge IEA ethnic minority members.
Guidelines for Selection:
- The award shall be to a person who has made a special and unique contribution to the cause of public education over an extended period of time and particularly in the last year.
- The award shall be limited to one award annually.
- Each recipient shall currently be an active member of the Idaho Education Association and a member of a marginalized community (i.e. ethnicity, race, gender/gender identity, sexuality, religion, and/or disability.
- Nominations may come from individual members, groups of members, local associations, or IEA Regions.
- No more than one nominee will be accepted from any one source.
- The Awards Subcommittee of the Board of Directors will screen nominations submitted to the Board. The awards subcommittee shall make a recommendation to the Board of Directors at its winter meeting. The Board of Directors shall act upon the recommendation at that meeting.
- The award shall be given annually at the IEA Delegate Assembly.
- The award shall be given only if an acceptable nominee is selected.
- Information about the Sam Cikaitoga Service Award shall be published at least once each year. (22)
- The award shall consist of an appropriate individual plaque, the name engraved on a perpetual plaque displayed in the headquarters office and payment of the IEA membership dues for one award recipient for the ensuing year.
- Non-IEA Delegate Assembly delegates shall receive reimbursement per current IEA Policy to attend the IEA Awards Ceremony at Delegate Assembly. (07,16,17,18)