IEA Members Receive Honors and Recognition
Join us in congratulating a couple of IEA members who received special honors recently.
Heather Hamilton from the Lakeland EA was named the Idaho School Counselor of the Year by the Idaho School Counselors Association.
Boise EA member Lisa Sterling was recognized as the 2021 Pesky Award for Inspirational Teaching recipient by the Lee Pesky Learning Center at Boise State University.
Working for You Archives
IEA Region Map and Region Directors Information
If you have been reading this newsletter over the last several weeks (thank you—that’s really appreciated!) you have seen references to what is happening in various “Regions” across the state. It dawned on us that not every member may be aware of the IEA’s regional structure or know what local education associations are in which regions. Fortunately, we have a map that details all of that information. So, for those of you who are curious, feel free to peruse the map to see which region you (and your colleagues) fall in. Then you can follow up with the appropriate Region Director if you have questions or want to get more involved with Association work. Email addresses for the IEA Region Directors are below.
Region 1 Denise Cobden firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 2 Jason McKinley email@example.com
Regions 3 & 8 Tracylea Balmer firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 4 Linda Jones email@example.com
Region 5 Matt Davies firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 6 Beage Atwater email@example.com
Region 7 Kathy Yamamoto firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 9 Alex Jones email@example.com
Working for You Archive
- The IEA and many local associations celebrated American Education Week this week. There were several pieces of content spotlighting IEA members that were shared with local media outlets and on IEA platforms. In case you missed them, here are some of the items we shared as we recognized the contributions of educators and looked at the work still in front of our state in order to create the schools our students deserve.
- IEA member and 2022 Idaho Teacher of the Year Todd Knight shared his thoughts on the prestigious award, his education philosophy, and what changes he would like to see to benefit students and educators.
- IEA Board member (ESP-at-large) and Vallivue librarian Katie Wiese wrote an opinion piece in recognition of National ESP Day on Wednesday. She talked about the dedication of these essential education employees and encourage support and tangible recognition for their efforts.
- Brian Coffey, an IEA member and President of the Nampa Education Association, was featured in an IEA video about the need for collaboration from all parties to make sure that Idaho is putting students first. Brian’s video, along with videos featuring other members, can be found on the Great Idaho Public Schools website.
- IEA President Layne McInelly had a guest opinion piece encouraging all Idahoans to recognize the contributions of educators, remember what we stand to lose if we fail to protect our public schools, and the opportunity presented by a record budget surplus to fully invest in Idaho public education.