Digital Communications and Social Media Organizer
The members of the Idaho Education Association, Idaho’s oldest and largest public employee union, are looking for a key member of a new close-knit team of communications professionals.
The ideal digital communications and social media organizer candidate is a creative and experienced early- to mid-career communicator who is fluent in technology systems that allow organizations to communicate effectively with both internal and external constituencies. Part edit bay geek, part tech trouble-shooter, and part social media whiz, this up-and-coming storyteller helps to maintain and maximize the digital tools we use to tell our members’ stories.
They would work in close coordination with IEA’s communications team, members and staff to tell stories about and for IEA members — thousands of public school educators across the state. A bit of an idealist, they believe public education is a public good, are eager to defend educators in an increasingly divisive political environment, and see labor unions as a positive force in society.
At least 3-5 years of experience in communications and/or digital technology work.
Experience in labor, electoral, community or movement organizing.
$53,414 to 64,895 depending on experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles of effective communication to members, potential members, and the public
- Experience with digital communications platforms and databases, and/or a strong proficiency with technology and a commitment to learn.
- Knowledge of the uses of technology for effective communications with the public, key stakeholders, IEA members, staff and leadership.
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem-solve, and resolve issues with technology, software and digital platforms and basic day-to-day technology maintenance issues.
- Ability to exercise basic news judgement.
- Basic knowledge of the use and maintenance of constituent relationship management systems for purpose of supporting communications is desirable.
- Knowledge of and experience in managing websites and website content as a primary communications tool is desirable; experience with WordPress is very desirable.
- Knowledge of print and web design/desktop publishing applications including, but not limited to, Adobe Suites software is desirable.
- Ability to create compelling on-brand graphics and videos for websites, social media posts, online ads, email blasts, etc.
- Ability to assist with shooting and editing relevant and engaging photographs and videos as primary content or to accompany primary content, such as blog and/or social media posts, features stories and news items.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skill.
- Ability to maintain strong relationships and understand the needs and perspectives of co-workers.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and project manage, prioritize, and execute to meet frequent and tight deadlines with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to travel within and outside the state as required; possession of a valid driver’s license is required.
- Basic knowledge of the operations of a labor union is desirable.
- Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends when needed.
- Work in collaboration with teammates to tell the story of IEA online and in digital spaces to win support from the public, give educators across the state the experience of being part of our statewide movement, and inspire educators and community allies alike to take action.
- Work in collaboration with IEA’s communications staff to develop and execute a digital communications plan as part of IEA’s Strategic Communications Plan, including editorial and digital communications calendars, to advance organizational goals and campaigns
- Work in collaboration with IEA’s communications staff to assist with the development of an online rapport with members and other followers through active monitoring and active interaction through our social media and other digital channels.
- Work in collaboration with IEA’s communications staff to help build awareness and affinity for IEA through organic social media, digital advertising, texting and other digital tools, craft engaging social media posts, and exploring how new social media platforms and features can be used for organizing.
- Collaborate with communications teammates to help members and local education associations share their stories through videos, images, writing, press interviews, storytelling trainings, etc.
- Create, edit and modify compelling graphics and videos for our website, social posts, online ads, email blasts, etc., in collaboration with program staff members and other teammates as needed.
- Working in support of communications staff, post to, monitor, edit and help manage the IEA website, social media and other online presences of IEA to ensure current and accurate content.
- Assist with shooting and editing relevant and engaging photographs and videos to as primary content or to accompany primary content, such as blog and/or social media posts, features stories and news items.
- Be a supporting IEA brand ambassador who diligently works to improve anything related to the member experience or the image of the IEA.
- Provide coaching and technical assistance to staff, members and local education associations, helping them use technology and online outreach (i.e. social media) to further organizing goals.
- Provide support and assistance to staff and governance with the IEA website and internal communications technology.
- Working in close consultation with IEA programs staff, maintain and monitor database of subscribers and operate association’s online email communication tools
- Coach and lead field staff and member leaders on digital and communications best practices for organizing events and campaigns.
- Serves as staff liaison to IEA member committees as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.