Social Media Organizer
Idaho Education Association is looking for smart, passionate communications and engagement pro to join our team as a social media organizer. Based in IEA’s headquarters in Boise, Idaho, the successful candidate is passionate about the importance of public education and supporting our dedicated public school educators.
Our new social media organizer is eager to tell stories in all mediums and that establish our member-educators as Idaho’s most important education experts and fiercest defenders of students and public school classrooms. They use established best practices to build IEA’s reputational currency and engagement among members, potential members and other key constituencies across all social media platforms. They are an intelligent and creative communicator with an eye for design and a thoughtful teammate who is eager to share their know-how with colleagues and members alike.
Job Function and Purpose:
Working under the supervision of the associate executive director and in lock-step with other members of IEA’s communications team, the social media organizer will help IEA and our local education association affiliates build a social media presence worthy of public education’s importance to our nation’s democracy and state’s future.
Professional Experience Required:
At least 3-5 years of experience in labor, electoral, community, or movement organizing OR at least 3-5 years of experience in communications and/or digital work in progressive spaces or other comparable environments
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to create and edit compelling on-brand graphics and videos for social media posts, online ads, email blasts, etc.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in Associated Press style and effective copywriting for search engine optimization (SEO)
- A strong understanding of principles of effective communication to members, potential members and the public
- A demonstrated ability to develop content and messaging for different audiences, social channels and organizing goals, including graphics, short video, memes and scripts
- Strong interpersonal skills: a deep understanding of trust-building, maintaining strong relationships and the ability to understand the needs and perspectives of co-workers
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and project manage, prioritize and execute to meet frequent and tight deadlines with keen attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to be adaptable and flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with digital communications platforms and databases used in progressive spaces, or general proficiency with technology, including CRMs, and a commitment to learn
- A track record as an excellent collaborator and team player
- A willingness to work nights and weekends when needed
- Provide coaching and technical assistance to staff, members and local education associations, helping them use technology and online outreach to further organizing goals
- Design systems by which to track, manage, evaluate and adapt social media and digital communications program based on data
- Serve as a member of the organizing team and work on other projects and initiatives to advance organizing goals as assigned
- Working in collaboration with teammates to tell the story of IEA online to win support from the public, give educators across the state the experience of being part of our statewide movement and inspire educators and community allies alike to take action
- Build our membership through organic social media, digital advertising, texting and other digital tools
- Collaborate with communications teammates to help members and local education associations share their stories through videos, images, writing, press interviews, storytelling trainings, etc.
- Create compelling graphics and videos for our website, social posts, online ads, email blasts, etc., in collaboration with program staff members and other teammates as needed.
- Create and facilitate the creation of content for IEA’s communication channels that is specifically about and for IEA members, that educates about IEA’s work, entices potential members to join and encourages existing members to become more involved.
- Work in collaboration with IEA’s communications staff to design and implement a strategic digital plan and digital communications calendar to advance organizational goals and campaigns; must align with other communications plans and messaging frameworks
- Ensure all digital content aligns with association’s communication, brand and messaging plans and frameworks in order achieve the association’s objectives and brand
- Be a primary IEA brand ambassador who diligently works to improve anything related to the member experience or the image of the IEA.
- Create online rapport with members and other followers through active monitoring and active interaction through our social media and other digital channels
- Craft engaging social media posts, cultivate community within Meta groups, and explore how new social media platforms and features can be used for organizing
- Coach and lead field staff and member leaders on digital and communications best practices for organizing events and campaigns
Annual salary range is $53,000-$65,000 and will be based on experience. Generous benefits package including full family health, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacations and holiday leave; and 401(k).
Location: IEA headquarters in Boise, Idaho