Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
The Idaho Education Association seeks a dynamic and skilled Region Director to organize and support the work of building strong local unions in the fight for the public schools our students deserve. IEA is the largest labor organization in Idaho. We are teachers, education support professionals, and aspiring educators whose core principles of collective action, unity, professionalism and advocacy drive our work every day.
Public education, a cornerstone of our democracy, is under attack. IEA works to build relationships and advocates to strengthen and protect our schools through organizing, member engagement and collective action.
The person who is selected for this position will share our passion for public education, workers’ rights, and will possess the skillset needed to further IEA’s Mission and Vision. IEA is the Idaho affiliate of the National Education Association, with over 3.2 million members strong across the country.
- Promotes the goals and objectives established by the governance of IEA and coordinates and administers the activities necessary to carry out the program;
- Provides training for local association leaders in the areas of bargaining, grievance processing, organizing, political activity, legislative activity and other program areas as may be established by the IEA;
- Ensures the development and implementation of a membership recruitment, engagement, organizing plans and programs for each local association within the region or with other regions, as appropriate;
- Collaborates with and assists local association leadership in developing comprehensive plans and strategy, including internal organizing and external community outreach and engagement;
- Coordinates, assists and trains members in issue, contract, legislative, community and electoral organizing that build organizational power;
- Assists local associations in crisis management;
- Advises and assists local associations in the negotiations of collective bargaining campaigns, agreements and member grievances, as needed;
- Advises and assists members and local associations in the exercise and maintenance of legal and contractual rights and obligations;
- Advises and assists local associations in the production of publications such as newsletters, announcements, notices and correspondence for effective internal and external communications;
- Advises and assists local associations with projects to enhance the prestige and image of the teaching profession and public education in the community;
- Works cooperatively with program staff, general counsel and directors from other regions to enhance programs and carry out core functions;
- Seeks cooperative relationships with other organizations and individuals;
- Regularly updates his/her education through a program of continuing personal and/or professional education and consultation with association personnel and other resources;
- Manages the daily business affairs of the region office and other duties as assigned by IEA management;
- Provides administrative and consultant services to region leadership and governance;
- Assists the IEA executive and management staff in the implementation of association program, projects and activities;
- Serves as assigned liaison to IEA program committees;
- Looks for organizing opportunities in local associations;
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Understanding of techniques and strategies to strengthen membership density;
- Possessing a strong skillset, proven experience and an understanding of organizing principles and strategies;
- Understanding of the principles in adult education, training and leadership development;
- Knowledge of basic research techniques and application, information retrieval, and utilization of computer technology;
- Effective skills in verbal and written communication, public speaking and interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to assume advocacy responsibilities and functions;
- Understanding of conflict management and group and individual facilitation skills;
- Ability to manage time efficiently;
- Organizing experience with a labor, community or political organization
- BA or BS degree in an education related field;
- Teaching certification and five (5) years of professional education experience in an institution of public education
- Substantial participation in the national, state and local associations
- Leadership experience
- Work effectively both independently and in team relationships with professional colleagues, and, where appropriate, community members
- Commitment to social and racial justice, building strong local member-led democratic unions, and public education
- Maintenance of a valid driver’s license.
Salary and benefits highly competitive and in accordance with the 2018-2019 IEA/IEASO Master Contract.
How to apply:
Submit résumé and cover letter to:
Mail: Attn: IEA Region Director Position, IEA Headquarters Office, 620 N. 6th Street, Boise, Idaho 83701
Or Email: email@example.com
Position is open until filled.
IEA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, veterans, educators and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.