The IEA’s Summer Institute provides tremendous opportunities for all types of professional educators, including our amazing ESP members. In July, many ESPs flocked to Pocatello for the Association’s marquee professional development event. Idaho ESPs showcased their expertise and hands-on experience as they presented to educators from all over the state.
There were several ESPs who presented at the 2016 Summer Institute.
- Bree Wildman (paraeducator: Boise) and Katie Wiese (elementary librarian: Vallivue) presented a workshop from the NEA ESP Conference on the prevention of bullying and harassment.
- Angie Arnett (paraeducator: Lewiston) co-presented with her local president Deanna Didier (special education teacher: Lewiston). The workshop was entitled “Para Pow-Pow Power” and featured materials that Angie brought back from the NEA ESP Conference, including a “how-to” plan for school-wide engagement on prevention and intervention for student bullying and sexual harassment.
- Stacie Aspiazu (paraeducator: Boise) co-presented with IEA Region Director Luke Franklin (WROC) on ESP membership recruitment and ESP rights and responsibilities in a right to work state.
- Jeni Fereday (library aid: Moscow) presented a session using the NEA Leadership Competencies for ESP leadership growth. Leadership competencies are a best practices model for Association leadership.
- Allison Gordon (district library support: Boise) provided valuable training about resources that can be used in the classroom.
It is evident that ESP membership is increasing across the state. ESPs have seen a higher membership increase than Certified Staff, and every region around the state has enjoyed an increase over the past 10 months. The encouraging trend toward recognizing ESPs as professionals who are helping to educate the whole student is continuing. Join the ESP movement today by following us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/IdahoESPs or by contacting Stacie Aspiazu-Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some dates to mark on your calendars for upcoming ESP events.
- Wednesday, November 16th is National ESP Day
- March 9-12 2017 is the NEA ESP Conference in Dallas, TX
- SPARKS for ESPs in their first five years of membership-dates TBA