The Director of Idaho Juvenile Corrections presented a report to House Education Committee members on Thursday. Here are some quick facts about Idaho’s juvenile corrections:
- There are three juvenile corrections programs in Idaho (Lewiston, St. Anthony, and Nampa), housing and educating 328 juvenile offenders.
- All three schools are fully-accredited.
- 71% of all juveniles released from corrections programs return to the public schools.
- On average, it costs $78,000 to incarcerate a juvenile in an Idaho corrections facility.
- Students may earn GEDs, high school diplomas, and post-secondary certificates. Last year:
- 46 students earned GEDs
- 25 students earned high school diplomas
- 12 students enrolled in college courses
- 10 students earned certificates