Legislative Advocacy and Government Relations Program
Every American citizen has the right to a free public education.
Educators want to make a difference in the lives of their students.
Educators deserve a voice in the policies and practices that affect their classrooms and their students.
“We are committed to advocating for students and educators at the state, local and national level to ensure every student, regardless of zip code, has the best education possible.”
- Build positive, professional relationships with policymakers, including the Superintendent of Public Instruction, State Board of Education, and state lawmakers.
- Work to ensure the highest standards are maintained for teacher certification.
- Provide quality professional development to assist members to work with local and state policymakers to develop and implement quality policies that will have a positive impact on students, educators, and the community.
- Assist local association members as they identify and support public education friendly school board and legislative candidates.
- Eliminated the Luna laws that would have:
- Restricted local decisions about how students were taught;
- Increased emphasis on standardized testing; and
- Increased taxes while cutting teaching positions.